Monday, December 11, 2006

Just Another Tequila Sunrise...

Ahh...what a weekend! Saturday, we went to Breakfast with Santa at the girl's school. She and the other cheerleadery girls were "santa's helpers" and handing out candy and gifts to the kidlets who sat on the old man's lap. The boy, was oh so thrilled to go see Santa. To quote him,"Santa is my freeeeeend!" Good luck with that kid, I think when you stepped on his toes and butted in line, you may be more his friend than he is yours, just sayin'....

Saturday night, my parents kept the offspring so the husband and I could attend the hillbilly hoedown that his company calls a Christmas party. It was held at an establishment that was also in the banquet room adjacent to ours holding "kickboxing matches". This was the first thing I spotted when entering the hotel. This place is called the Stratford Inn Read the reviews, you'll get my drift. My husband thought it would be nice to get a room at a discounted rate at this place. To say it was a total shithole, would be putting it nicely. There were literally bullet holes in the walls and on the dresser was a lovely card stating that the room had been cleaned personally by Michele on 11/20/06. Not a good starting point, I tell ya!

Anyway, the party was held in the "Gazebo room" which looked as though it were lifted directly out of the movie the Wedding Singer, complete with mirrored walls, and red shag carpeting. I was having a blast, just taking in the scenery. I totally wish I'd have had a camera phone because this stuff just can't be made up. Husband and I were seated at a table with his boss and other friends. We had the obligiatory buffet dinner followed by many awards given to the employees for various reasons. Husband received a safety award (Go husband, with your badass safe self!) in the amount of a $50 gift card to Wal-Mart. He was quite pleased with himself, and who am I to criticize free stuff, really?

Then the dancing festivities began. I mostly spent the evening going back and forth to the open bar and visiting with the other men of the Lawncare Co. that husband works for. I've developed quite the taste for the Tequila Sunrises and drank enough of them that the bar did, indeed, run out of tequila. I love those things, especially when they are free! There are a few couples we generally hang out with from his group of co-workers. The mechanic and his wife, he's a great guy who's hilarious and also not at all afraid to risk being arrested for comitting the crime of copying dvd's for my viewing pleasure. He's also got 5 pc's loaded with over 10,000 songs and is burning me a mix cd just because I'm nice, see.....people are generally still good, for the most part! Anyway, I'm not sure how many of those things I drank, but I do know there were more cups in front of me than I cared to dare count....

Once couple came to the party that we've visited with and been friendly in the past on several occassions. We've gone out on double-date type things with them and they're generally nice people, but I can't say that I know them all that well, what with our relationship basically consisting of the fact that we've gone to a country music concert and 3 bars with these people and not much else. I'd not say we're really close or anything like that.

Anyway, after the party ended at 11:00pm, we migrated to the hotel bar because hello, its only 11pm! This woman was telling me on several occassions that she thought I was cute. Well, okay, thanks, how very nice of you. Then, she tells me that guys are checking me out. "Um...okay," I say. What exactly does one say to that, anyway? We go to the bar where I buy myself and the other chick a lemon drops shot (cause that's what you do, right? Take turns buying?) And I kid you not she starts whispering in my ear how she loves my outfit and thinks I'm beautiful. It was weird and awkward and all kinds of strange for me. "Uh, thanks, I guess," I tell her, still not sure what to make of this woman. Then, this tall dude that was sitting at our table comes over and is talking to me, and when he walks away, I tell her that I think he's handsome. She says,"You know who I think is handsome? Your husband..." "Uh, okay, I'm kinda partial to him too, since I'm married to him and all...." WTF? Really? I've really got no radar for anything like this and was not at all sure of how to react. At this point, husband was nowhere to be found and then he comes out of nowhere to whisk me away from these people. He then informs me that they are swingers and apparently, she was interested in more than drinks and conversation! Should I not give people the benefit of the doubt and just assume that all new folks are insane until proven differently?

Needless to say, husband and I went back to our shithole room alone where we watched fuzzy Southpark on the craptastic television with no remote (because they wanted a fucking $10 deposit just to use the godamned remote, that's why!), had crazy alcohol-induced,monogomous, no extra-people, sex and went to sleep!

No comments: